Saturday, April 26, 2008

Greening the Workplace

Been working on how to get my office a bit more "green". Kind of hard when it's so easy to grab a paper cup rather than a reusable cup that you have to wash.

We can't enforce anyone to do anything, but I got a team together and we're planning to do our best to educate and suggest better ways to reduce waste. Saw a bit of the Oprah show on Earth Day and I believe her office was spending over $800 on paper cups alone. Dang. She decided to make it mandatory that all full time employees use their own reusable cups and have paper cups available only for non-full time employees. I think it's a good idea. So next week, my co-workers and eye are going to focus on our first mission... reduce paper cup usage.

Suggestions and ideas are welcome. We're taking small steps, so we don't overwhelm anyone with too many changes. Maybe our next topic could be recycling... since there are some people in the office that are still putting glass and plastic bottles in the trash, even though we have bins for that. So bad... bad I tell ya.

No comments: